Tax Information

School Levies
Other (Commercial)10.50010.500
Lord Selkirk School Division14.30613.820
Sunrise School Division13.71813.295
Rural Area Levies
General Municipal - Rural Areas7.3249.370
General Municipal - At-Large3.3053.295
Lagoon Levy0.09800.099
Firefighting Equipment0.25000.128
Bridge Repair & Replace0.26700.271
Machinery Reserve1.464
Gravel Replacement0.488
Municipal Services Building0.089
Recreation & Culture0.107
Sun Gro Loan0.13900.142
Garson Arena Loan0.17900.185
Strecker Bridge Loan0.14100.144
Administration Building Loan0.18400.188
Parking Lot0.06100.063
2013 Bridge Repairs0.12700.129
Assessment Levy0.28700.292
LUD of Tyndall-Garson
General Municipal - At-Large3.3053.295
LUD Requirement5.1945.366
Firefighting Equipment0.25000.128
Municipal Services Building0.089
Recreation & Culture0.107
Sun Gro Loan0.13900.142
Garson Arena Loan0.17900.185
Administration Building Loan0.18400.188
Parking Lot0.06100.063
LUD Garage0.19600.203
Assessment Levy0.28700.292


How Are My Taxes Determined?

Your property taxes are the product of your portioned assessment and the school and municipal mill rates.  Portioned assessment represents the portion of the assessed value of your property that is subject to taxation.

Portioned Assessment  X  (Municipal + School mill rates)  =  Property Tax

Mill Rate

The mill rate is determined by a series of calculations.  Council plans their budget for the fiscal year, deciding which projects they wish to see completed.  Once they have determined how much it will cost to complete the projects and provide services for the municipality, they subtract the revenue and grants they will take in and divide the remainder by the total assessment of the municipality’s land and buildings.

The 2017 residential mill rate for the rural properties in the municipality is 28.218.  The residential mill rate for the LUD of Tyndall-Garson in 2017 is 23.709.  The mill rate differs between the rural part of the municipality and the LUD of Tyndall-Garson largely from the transportation costs to maintain roadways in each part of the municipality.  Gravel roads are more difficult to maintain than paved streets, as they often require more repairs.  There are also several more miles of gravel roads than paved streets in the whole municipality.

Property Assessment

All properties within the boundaries of the RM of Brokenhead are assessed by the Province of Manitoba Assessment Branch in Selkirk.

Properties are assessed after completion of building a new dwelling or structure in which a building permit was required.  The Province has also adopted a policy in which every property in Manitoba is reassessed every two years to keep assessments more current with the housing market.  All properties were reassessed for the 2016 and 2017 property taxes using market values as of April 1, 2014.  Reassessment notices are mailed the year before new assessment values are to take effect.  The next reassessment year is 2018 and the notices have been sent by the Selkirk Assessment Branch in the summer of 2017.  Property owners may appeal their 2018 assessments.  Written appeals must be received by the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead no later than October 10th, 2017 for it to be considered in the Board of Revision taking place October 25th, 2017.

Link to:  2018 Assessment Appeal Form

To view the report about the 2018 Property Re-Assessment presented by the Selkirk Assessment Branch, please click HERE.

If you have any questions or concerns about the assessed value of your property, please contact the Selkirk Assessment Branch at 204-785-5092.



Property owners are eligible for an Education Property Tax Credit Advance on the property that is considered their primary residence in the amount of $700.00.  To receive the tax credit advance, you must be living in that residence as of January 1st, 2017.  The deadline for application is November 15th, 2017.

Link to:  2017 Education Property Tax Credit Advance Application Form

Seniors Tax Rebate

Property owners 65 years or older are eligible for a further property tax rebate of up to $470.00 in 2017.  2017 Rebate will be claimed when you file your 2017 income tax return in the spring of 2018.  This means that a separate application for the Rebate is no longer necessary.  It also means that in future years, you will be able to make retroactive claims for up to three years, but no further back than the 2016 Rebate.

To be eligible for the Seniors School Tax Rebate, you or your spouse/common-law partner must:

-be 65 years of age or older by the end of the year (December 31st, 2017);
-own your home or be liable for paying the school taxes on your principle residence;
-live in your home, and
-be residents of Manitoba

Farmland School Tax Rebate

Owners of farm classified property are eligible for a percentage of their taxes for farm land only to be refunded by the Government of Manitoba.  Each year an application form must be completed and submitted to the Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation in their area.  The deadline for the 2017 rebate is March 31st, 2018.

Link to:  2017 Farmland School Tax Rebate Application Form – Individual
Link to:  2017 Farmland School Tax Rebate Application Form – Corporate


The files above have been saved as pdf’s. If you have any difficulties viewing the content of the site  (such as images or documents such as pdfs), please check to see that you have the latest software or updates from Adobe for Adobe Reader (for viewing pdfs), and Adobe Flash Player (for viewing images). Please find a link to their site to assist your efforts.

Link to Adobe downloads: