The Beausejour Brokenhead area is home to some very interesting historical sites, points of interest and a Pioneer Village Museum. In addition, there are also many memorials and cairns throughout the community at designated locations honouring the people and places in the community of local historical significance.
Broken Beau Pioneer Village Museum - Beausejour
Established in 1967, the Pioneer Village Museum recreates a small pioneer village. It contains a log house, school, community hall, Canadian Pacific Railway Station, store, blacksmith shop and a Ukrainian Church with a bell tower. Most of the pioneers of this region were of Polish, Ukrainian, or German descent coming from the areas known as Galacia and Volhynia. These pioneers had to face many hardships in carving out the wilderness and learning to adapt to a new country and a new way of life. Many artifacts depicting the lifestyle of the early pioneers of the surrounding area are located in these buildings.
Manitoba Glass Works Historical Site - Beausejour
The Manitoba Glass Works was founded in Beausejour in 1906, by Joseph Keilback and his partners. The factory was sustained by a nearby deposit of high qualiy sand, and it was the first glass container factory in Western Canada. At its peak the Manitoba Glass Works employed approximately 350 workers, and eventually was purchased in 1913, and relocated to Redcliff, Alberta. The Factory Site remains, and was designated a Provincial Heritage Site #41, on September 27, 1989.
St.Mary's Catholic Church - Leo Mol Paintings - Beausejour
St.Mary's Catholic Church in Beausejour, is home to the ceiling and wall paintings of the famous and now deceased internationally acclaimed Manitoba artist Leo Mol. They are truly a sight to behold.
Gillis Quarries - Garson
Gillis Quarries, incorporated in 1915, has provided the famous fossil filled Tyndall Stone used to build the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, the Manitoba Legislature, and many very well known buildings across Canada.
Tyndall stone is a dolomitic limestone quarried from the Selkirk member of the Ordovician Red River Formation, in the vicinity of Tyndall, Manitoba. It was first used in 1832 for building Lower Fort Garry, and has since become popular for building purposes throughout Canada and the United States of America. In addition to the Parliament buildings in Ottawa and the Mantioba Legislative Building, the Tyndall stone of Gillis Quarries has also been used in the Saskatchewan Legislative Building in Regina, the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, the Empress Hotel in Victoria, B.C., and is also incorporated in many local buildings in the Beausejour Brokenhead area. The rock is famous for its cream colour limestone with its pervasive coloured mottling of dolomite, caused by the burrowing of marine creatures when the limestone was deposited. It also contains numerous gastropod, brachiopod, cephalopod, trilobite, coral and stromatoporoid fossils.
St.Michael's Bell Tower - Tyndall
St.Michael's Bell Tower has served as an area landmark since 1926.
Tyndall Cenotaph - Tyndall
Link to Historic Sites of Manitoba Map for the Tyndall Cenotaph: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/tyndallwarmemorial.shtml